I originally started out making a traditional cherry clafouti (and had not eggs... read this post here) ... Whole cherries with pits with a custardy top. This turned out to be more of a pudding cake but just as delicious... so lesson learned? When life hands you a lemon, eat pudding cake (with cherries)!
I don't eat vegan but I do understand why someone would choose that lifestyle and I wanted to accomodate that. Altogether this is nut, dairy, egg, and gluten free!
I chose to use white chia seeds because I didn't want to have a grey cake however using black chia won't result in a different flavor. Works just as beautiful!
Vegan and Gluten Free Lemon-Infused Pudding Cake with Cherries
1 cup silken firm tofu
1 1/4 cup water (or unsweetened dairy-free milk)
2 T chia seeds
1 Large Lemon, organic (or two smaller lemons)
1/4 c arrowroot powder
3 T coconut flour
1 t vanilla extract
2 cups frozen cherries or frozen fruit of your choice
1 T coconut oil or any oil
Coconut Butter or coconut oil if you prefer
1. Add chia seeds to the water and let sit for at least 15 minutes, while you are prepping everything else.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Stick 1 T oil in a casserole dish. Then put in preheating oven.
4. Zest and juice the lemon.
5. Blend together all ingredients except frozen cherries in vita mix.
6. Remove preheated dish from oven. Swish the oil around to completely cover the bottom of the dish.
7. Add the fruit on the bottom then gently pour the blender mixture on top. Immediately stick back in the oven. Bake 40 - 60 minutes until golden on top and brown around edges (I ended up baking mine 45 but could have gone a little longer).