Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rooibos Carrot Cake Smoothie for Breakfast?

Yes, that's right.

Carrot Cake Smoothie by Mary Banducci Big Blue Eyes and I mainly eat eggs for breakfast with a kale and berry smoothie to follow about an hour later.

But this morning, only two eggs were to be found. And instead of thinking why I should have stopped on my way home yesterday to pick up eggs, I thought "What can I make with what I have on hand?" My sister is really a champ at doing this and I'm trying to improve.

That is also the way I play scrabble. A lot of the time, I think, "If only I had an 'E'..." (or a T or a Z or an I or whatever). I've learned that this is a habit of mine "To think if only I had..." and I apply it to a lot of areas of my life. Well, I'm determined to stop that. I'm learning to make do with what I have. To appreciate the gifts God has given me and to use them to the fullest.

Now what does this have to do with breakfast?

It's all about making solutions. It's about thinking "Ok this is what I have, what can I do with it? What do I want to do with it?"

So on to Carrot Cake Smoothie...

If you are a parent and have toddlers, I want you to know that my little Big Blue Eyes (in all her esteemed 18 months) drank this smoothie up like it was candy. And guess what? The only sugar is from naturally occuring sweetness in apples. This smoothie has protein, antioxidants, omegas, beta carotene and fiber.

You can have this smoothie hot like soup or cold which I prefer on this beautiful sunny day. To have it cold, might take some extra preparation ahead of time. You'll need to freeze shredded carrots and refridgerate rooibos tea.

You can buy loose leaf rooibos tea from Mountain Rose Herbs or your local health food market (Pilgrims Market in CDA).

Also, this is not very sweet. Add two dates or some agave for a little sweetness.

Ingredients
Two large carrots or 1 1/2 cup shredded frozen carrots
2 small apples, one gala and one granny smith (cut up in quarters, seeds removed)
2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
24 raw almonds
1 1/2 cup rooibos tea
1 T chia seeds
3 T coconut butter
2 Dates (optional)

Now just BLEND away! And enjoy. I added a little bit of shredded coconut on top of ours.

Also if you prefer less of a fibrous texture, you can gently the steam the carrots so before blending. This will result in a much more smooth texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...