Oh, this friday is a treat for all things delicious. Seriously, this salad is so yummy.
I hope you all enjoy your weekend. Looking forward to church this evening. Then a fun party with Aunt Michele tomorrow followed by a restful Sunday. Just what the doctor ordered! Also... she ordered this. ;)
There is this great restaurant in Coeur d'Alene called Cafe Carambola. It has delicious south of the equator-inspired food. The family that owns it is so sweet!
They have some delicious salads there. I wanted to create a salad that embodied their atmosphere, their vitality.
Red Quinoa (like it's beautiful, paler counterpart) is a complete protein and essential to vegetarian or vegan diets. It's also quite a stunning grain.
1 c red quinoa
Pinch of Salt
1 large handful dried mango (look for pineapple juice coated vs. the super sweet sugar coated)
Bunch of cilantro
Pinch of Turmeric
Juice of 1 and 1/2 lime
1/4 c olive oil
(optional additions - macadamia nuts, avocado)
1. Soak red quinoa and dried mango seperately for at least an hour.
2. Drain mango water into measuring cup (add water until 2 cups full). Add water to small saucepan. Boil.
3. Drain and rinse quinoa. Add to boiling water. Let bowl 15 minutes.
4. Slice mango into 1/4 inch thick slivers.
5. Dice cucumber and cilantro.
6. Add all ingredients together and stir.
This salad is great to make the day before as the flavor only intensifies!