Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Nettle Basil Pesto + Pasta & Nectarines (gluten-free, dairy free, egg-free, soy-free)

This has been one of my favorite pesto recipes every since I started stocking my pantry with dried nettle. Nettle hads an extra boost of chlorophyll and minerals to this already tasty concoction.


I usually make this pesto raw but you can feel free to toast the almonds and pecans for an even richer flavor.

If you're allergic to nuts, you can use a mixture of sunflower, pumpkin, and sesame seeds. Alisa's Garden has a wonderful recipe doing just that HERE (from our week of Green Food).

Pack some in the fridge with a thick layer of olive oil over the top to help preserve it and freeze the rest for delicious pesto all year long!

I've subbed nectarines for the normal tomatoes in my pasta dish. I love the way the refreshing basil and richer nettle mixes with the sweet acidity of nectarines. Also I prefer nectarines over tomatoes as I seem to have a slight sensitivity to them.


Nettle Basil Pesto
2 c packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 c dried, cut and sifted, nettle leaves
1 c almonds
1/2 c pecans
1/4 t salt
2-4 cloves garlic
Juice of one lemon
1 c olive oil

Combine all ingredients in food processor (except for lemon juice and olive oil). Pulse until nuts are ground finely and greens are completely incorporated. Add lemon juice and oil oil while pulsing. Store in glass jar in refridgerate (or freeze in ice cubes for individual servings).

For the Pasta
Cook gluten-free pasta as directed on package. (I've used quinoa, brown rice, and corn pasta all with great results). Drain. Mix in pesto and extra olive oil if desired. Garnish with diced tomatoes or nectarines.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...