Saturday, November 9, 2013

Spiced Caramel Pumpkin Butter (Paleo friendly, vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free)

Happy Autumn, my fellow sweet readers!

Today we have a recipe that celebrates Fall wonderfully. Made in your slow cooker so you can delight in the spices all day long!

{Pin this}

{Pin this}
This idea came to me last year when I thought it would be great to sweeten pumpkin butter solely with dates. And then my lovely neighbor Pattie (mentioned here and here) shared a caramel pumpkin butter recipe made in the slow cooker by the blog Inspired by Family found via Babble. From then on, I knew it was destiny, a spicy and sweet one at that. I knew I needed to make my own healthier version using the aforementioned dates.

Full of spices, yummy pumpkin, and caramel-y dates, this butter makes a great treat for any cold windy day and it's friendly for practically anyone - free of eggs, refined cane sugar (sweetened only with dates and spices), nuts, gluten, grain, and dairy. It's paleo and vegan friendly! It would look lovely in a nut crust as a tart, in a bowl with cut apples and carrots, piled on biscuits, or in jars to give away as friends (it will need refrigeration).

If you're looking to make more of a pumpkin butter instead of caramel-flavored pumpkin butter, use 1 1/2 to 2 cups depending on the sweetness desired.

I'll be updating this recipe in the next week or two using canned pumpkin if anyone is interested. It's a bit of work to peel the pumpkin yourself and I know the holidays don't always permit extra time. Let me know if you would like to know instructions for that!

This is great served with apple slices, carrots, or even banana. In fact, for dessert I dipped a banana in it tonight!


{Pin this}

Spiced Caramel Pumpkin Butter
3 cup dates, pits and stems removed
1 small or medium pumpkin - seeds removed, peeled, and cut into chunks
1 1/2 cup apple juice (for a creamier butter use unsweetened coconut or almond milk)
1 TB cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp clove spice
Pinch of salt (brings out sweetness)

Directions:
Put all ingredients in slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours or low 7-8 until pumpkin is soft. Using an immersion blender (I used my Cuisinart hand blender) or high speed blender such as a Vitamix (this will make it even smoother). Once cool, refridgerate. Enjoy!


Question of the Day: What do you love about Autumn?

I love wearing a scarf and boots, running outside in the wind with my Big Blue Eyes, having a great breakfast with Witty Husband, and snuggling up with a good book and a cup of tea. I'm currently enjoying re-reading On Fallen Wings by Jamie McHenry because the third book Wings of my Enemy came out and drinking Dandy Blend brew which is ultra delicious. Although I've put this book The Artful Parent by Jean Van't Hul on my Christmas wish list. There is one other thing I love about Autumn and that's having excuses to stay inside and make one more craft with my daughter. That book looks really inspiring. Any books that you've enjoyed this year? I would love to hear recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh wow, this looks so scrummy! I love all your suggestions for how to use it too.
    I love crispy, bright autumn days like today when you can bundle up for a refreshing walk :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...