Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oat and Almond Drop Biscuits with Herbed Olive Oil Gravy (gluten free, dairy free, egg free)

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ~ Lewis Carroll

What impossible things have you dreamt? believed?

I believed I could make a dairy-free and gluten-free biscuits and gravy (they also happen to be soy-free, egg-free, sugar-free, and vegan optional)... It took some hardwork and mulitple tries but everything worth doing is worth doing well particularly breakfast. And Voila! Here it is in the flesh (or shall I say gravy?). A tried-and-true delicious oat and almond biscuits with a creamy and lightly herbed gravy.

{Pin this}

They are perfectly crumbly, have a wonderful biscuit texture and can be enjoyed sweet with jam and tea or savory with gravy. The biscuits are vegan. As per the gravy, you can choose to make this vegan by using vegetable broth and sauteed mushrooms (or lentils for protein) instead of chicken broth and cooked sausage. Here we use some deer breakfast sausage.

These biscuits are drop biscuits. No need to roll out any dough. Just grind the oats, mix and drop on to a baking sheet. Easy peasy, right? You can even make the mixture the night before and refridgerate (they may need to cook a minute or two longer). I was tasked to bring gluten-free rolls for thanksgiving but I plan to make a double batch of these the night before.

{Update: I just wanted to give you a little info on why I made the recipe the way I did. I've found my gluten-loving husband prefers oat and nut flours vs premixed commercial gluten-free flour mixes so I want to make the whole family happy. I too love these flours - slightly sweet with wonderful flavor also they are great for you! Don't get me wrong though. Premixed Gluten-free flours are awesome and super convenient. Nuts give the biscuits protein and oats have great fiber (chia seeds add both of these). I do NOT buy oat flour because everytime I bake with it, it goes rancid quickly (like within a day). Grinding my own oats seems to be no problem.
Also I use coconut oil here instead of a butter substitute. I don't like all the additives of processed vegan butter. Why hinder your digestive system when you're trying to heal it?
These biscuits have whole ingredients. They are nutritious and oh so good. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!)

{Pin this}

{Pin this}

Oat and Almond Biscuits
1 1/2 cup rolled oats (GF certified if sensitive)
3/4 cup almond flour *
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
2 TB chia seeds
1/2 cup milk of choice (unsweetened - I've used coconut milk, soy milk and almond all with good results but prefer the coconut)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1/2 cup + 1 TB solid coconut oil)

1. Add the vinegar to the milk and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425.
3. Grind rolled oats and chia seeds (using a blender, food processor or coffee grinder) until oats resemble a flour.
4. Combine all dry ingredients.
5. Add coconut oil (or butter substitute) to mix and use a pastry cutter or a potato masher to combine the oil into the flour until it resembles little balls.
6. Add milk and mix in.
7. Divide the dough into eight balls and drop on baking sheet (I use my pizza stone from pampered chef). Bake 18 minutes.

*You can also make this recipe with home ground almond meal instead of almond four. Use only 1 TB chia seeds and add 3 TB tapioca starch (otherwise the biscuits may crumble too much with the almond meal).

{Pin this}

Herbed Olive Oil Gravy
3 TB potato starch
1/4 cup olive oil (feel free to use a grapeseed oil if you prefer a lighter gravy)
1/2 cup broth
Ground pepper to taste
1/4 tsp Thyme  (double herbs if using mushrooms instead of sausage)
1/4 tsp sage
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk (unsweetened and unflavored - I used So delicious coconut milk)
3/4 cup cooked sausage or sauteed mushrooms

1. In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk potato starch into oil. Add herbs
2. Turn up to medium high heat and add remaining ingredients  (except for sausage or mushrooms) while whisking (if it starts to clump you can run it through your blender or use an immersion blender like this one ).
3. Add sausage or mushrooms and simmer 3 minutes.
4. Serve over biscuits!

This recipe has been shared on Lifeologia's Gluten-Free Potluck Party.

The weather has been so mysterious these last couple days. Grey sky. Snow. Rain. Moody It makes me just want to cuddle up and read a book. I finished The Secret Letters of Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy for my book club. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I loved how the women's friendship developed and strengthened - quite a bit of gossip and intrigue as well.

What books would you recommend that you've read recently?

1 comment:

  1. Oh these are so beautiful ;)
    A great recipe with beautiful photos always makes me happy here on your blog.
    Oh and your last photo is unbelievably beautiful ;) *LOVE*

    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe at the Potluck Party. It's been busy the last few weeks and I'm catching up visiting my friends ;)
    Thanks so much for coming by with these beauties ;)
    xoxo
    Ella

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...