To mothers everywhere....
We appreciate you.
We love you.
We cherish you.
We adore you.
And we want you to have a wonderful, relaxing day where you know we appreciate all those times you swiped our dirty noses, woke with us in the middle of the night, filled our bellies with hearty, nutritious foods (and we appreciate those nights where you broke down and let us eat hot dog mac & cheese), and most of all, we appreciate you encouraged our hearts.
YOU are special.
YOU are unique.
And we want to take this day to celebrate you, MOM!
And this Mother's Day celebrate Mom with an easy yet nutritious and tasty lunch.
What's on the menu, you ask?
Sparkling Lemon Hibiscus Tea
Quinoa and Arugula Salad with Roasted Lemon and Asparagus
and Vegan Lemon Mousse with Vanilla and Cardamom
Most of the prep can be done ahead so Mother's Day can be relaxing and easy. Great for mothers with toddlers who want something special but not a lot of time.
Sparkling Lemon Hibiscus Tea
1/3 heaping cup Hibiscus petals (I buy from Mountain Rose Herbs)
2 cups water
Sparkling Water or Lemon Sparkling Water (I used Pellegrino)
Limoncello *for virgin version, use notes below
*Juice of 2 Lemons with 2 Tb agave
1. Boil water and hibiscus petals then simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool.
2. Fill glasses with 2 parts sparkling water, 2 parts strained hibiscus infusion, and 1 part limoncello
Quinoa and Arugula Salad with Roasted Asparagus and Lemon (serves 2)
1 cup pre-cooked quinoa
1/2 cup pecans (or other nuts/seeds)
2-3 organic lemons, sliced 1/4"-1/3" thick
1 lb asparagus
Handful of craisins and goji berries
Dress with extra virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and red pepper and salt
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Toss asparagus with oil and spread out with lemon slices on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through. Add pecans and bake another 3 minutes.
3. Layer plates with arugula, quinoa, pecans, asparagus, lemons, and dried craisins and goji berries. Sprinkle with extra virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and red pepper (or black).
*Steps 1 & 2 can be done ahead of time and are delicious served cold if prepping beforehand.
I just love cardamom and I think it really makes this mousse have a little more pizzazz. If unfamiliar with this spice, try using the seeds from three pods. Cardamom and vanilla bean pods are available to order from Mountain Rose Herbs.
This mousse also happens to dole out a nice size of protein, making it all the more appealing as a dessert... or maybe for breakfast by itself.
Vegan Lemon Mousse with Vanilla and Cardamom (serves 2-4)
14 oz package extra firm tofu
Juice of 2 Lemons
Gratings of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup agave nectar
4 cardamom pods * (available from Mountain Rose Herbs)
Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean (I purchase my vanilla from amazon)
Assorted Fruit of Choice
2 TB tapioca starch
*If you don't have cardamom pods or don't like them, it still tastes delicious without.
1. Crush cardamom pods with flat blade of knife. In mortar and pestle, crush the seeds from pods.
2. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend til smooth.
3. Refridgerate until ready to serve. Serve with fresh fruit like sliced banana, strawberries, and mango.
I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day! What are your plans for this weekend?
I buy my herbs from