Monday, September 17, 2012

Fig and Lavender Almond Muffins

A late night post for a morning delight!

{Pin this}

Lately Big Blue Eyes has been asking for a bar for breakfast. Usually bars are reserved for when we go out to the park, church or any on-the-go snack time. And I'm thinking, "Bar, seriously? What kind of mother am I if I let you eat a bar for breakfast?"

But I did.

And then the next morning, she asked again for a bar.

And then I realized what she really wanted - baked goods. The only way she could communicate that was with a word she knew well - "bar".

I love these "Aha!" moments where she and I both understand each other.

I've been baking soft pumpkin cookies but I tried something a little knew and made Fig and Lavender Almond Muffins. I've made them with dried figs before but wanted to try fresh - although quite tasty, I think I actually prefer dried figs when it comes to baking. I thoroughly believe that fresh figs are best enjoyed raw and solo accompanied by finger-licking. You can decide which you prefer.

I love the combination of figs and lavender - So harmoniously fresh... I've also combined the two in  fig and lavender muesli, also on the blog.

These muffins only have a little bit of honey so they won't give a sugar rush plus they are packed with protein from the eggs and almond meal and fiber from the figs and flaxseed!




Fig and Lavender Almond Muffins
Ingredients:
2 c packed almond meal*
1/4 c flaxseeds
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

3 eggs
1/4 c honey
1/4 c applesauce
1 tsp Homemade Liquid Vanilla Stevia (use less if using commercial variety)
1 tsp dried lavender flowers

6 ripe figs or 10 dried figs

1. Grind flaxseeds in coffee or spice grinder. (UPDATE - I forgot to add this when first posted).
2. Combine first group of ingredients. Combine second group.
3. With a spatula, mix the wet into the dry. Do NOT overmix!
4. Quarter and then chop the figs and combine into the muffin batter.
5. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
6. Slather with coconut oil or butter and enjoy!

*You can make your own almond meal by grinding almonds in the food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...