Monday, February 11, 2013

Week of Love: Roasted Asparagus and Red Potato Soup


As I was rifling through my old blog, I came upon this old number and knew I had to re-post it! This was from my origianl week of love recipes - all of which I named in French names (not that I'm a romantic or anything). I still make this delicious soup and my husband still requests it!

I thought about re-doing the photography but I actually enjoy the old photos (I just removed the old watermark). This soup has a soft little spot in my heart as it was one of my first recipes (that we both enjoyed and was entirely my own). And as you read, remember this was two years ago! Oh, how time flies!
 


The soup du jour is Soup du Sex (Witty Husband came up with that one) also known as Potato Asparagus Soup.

According to Whole Living: Body+Soul in balance, Asparagus "may aid in the production of histamine, which is necessary for acheiving orgasm - making asparagus's legendary aphrodisiac powers not quite so far-fetched." That's right, ladies and gents, that green, skinny vegetable is one of God's gifts to mankind.

For our anniversary back in May, my husband and I went to a delicious little place on 4th Street called Angelo's Ristorante. For a starter, they were serving potato asparagus soup which was to die for! It was my husband and I's favorite part of the meal. Today, I sought to replicate that delectable number and now you can too!




Roasted Asparagus and Red Potato Soup
Ingredients:1 lb of asparagus, washed thoroughly and snapped at tough parts
6 small red potatoes, cut up into 1/2 inch pieces.
1/2 onion, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk (I use So Delicious unsweetened)
salt and pepper and olive oil


1. Cook garlic and onion in a skillet until onions are almost clear.
2. Meanwhile preheat oven to 390 (or 400 degrees F if pan is lighter colored), spray pan with a little oil, and bake asparagus for ten minutes, turning halfway through.
3. Add potatoes and chicken broth to stockpot. Add onions and garlic. Boil until potatoes are tender. At this point, I used my immersion blender to blend it up a little.
4. Cut up asparagus into 1 inch pieces. Add to stockpot with coconut milk. Simmer for ten minutes. At this point, you have the option to completely blend the soup with the coconut milk if you like a more smooth texture. I chose not to last night but today when I reheated it for lunch, I did blend it for 30 seconds on low and preferred that texture (which is what you see below).
5. Serve with love.

I hope you enjoyed this older recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...